So, I thought I’d start yet ANOTHER weekly post called Monday Moves. These posts will show new exercises that you can incorporate into your workout! I know I get into a rut once in a while and end up repeating a lot of similar moves time and time again. There are more things to do besides bicep burls and pushups and squats!
I have 4 exercises that I want to share with you this week. Some, you may have seen before (especially if you took my classes at the Oak Square Y) and some may be a brand new twist on an existing move you know. This week we have:
- squat with upright row
- side lunge with full circle
- one armed side pushup/crunch
- plank with kick and hold on stability ball
Let me just apologize in advance for the terrible pictures. I wanted to give you guys a bit of a visual (on the MOVE. not ME!) but these turned out pretty lame-o. Give me some time for improvement!
1. Squat with upright row. This move targets your legs, back, core and arms.
- Start with your feet apart, a dumbbell in one hand.
- Squat down, with the dumbbell reaching towards the ground.
- As you come back up, lift the dumbbell to chin height, leading with your elbow.
2. Side Lunge with full circle.
- Start with weight in both hands
- Step out with one foot (pictured: right foot). At the same time, keeping arms extended, complete a full circle, rotating the shoulders, hips facing forward. (Pictured: circling swooping to the right)
- As you complete the circle, bring your foot back to the starting position.
3. One armed side pushup/crunch. (Warning: this one is super unflattering)
- Lay on one side with legs extended and feet stacked.
- Take the bottom arm and bring it around your chest, like you are hugging yourself.
- Place the palm of you top hand on the ground, about shoulder height.
- Engage your obliques and ‘pushing’ arm and push up by extending your arm.
4. Plank with kick and hold on stability ball.
- Start in the pushup position, with your shins resting on the ball.
- Lift one leg and hold.
- Return your leg on the ball. Switch to the other leg.
Hope these help inspire future workouts!
******Don’t forget, only one more day to submit photos for Winesday Wednesday! Click here to find out how you can be a part of my new weekly segment!