Not sure if anyone caught it from my last post, but….we moved last week! It’s been a lot of hard work (mostly on Tyler’s part) and stress, but we are now settled into a beautiful and huge new home in … Continue reading
Oh hey there, Internet. I thought I’d check in real quick and give you a little one-sided chat before starting the day. So yes, I’m sitting on Wes’s playmat in the barely-breaking morning light without yet having made coffee and typing this up. I must be insane.
So still not too much to chat about here- summer months are just full of outdoor time and soaking up the good weather that it’s hard to sit at a computer and word vomit about it. Or maybe that’s just me. I can’t even remember what I’ve shared with you last, and I’m not about to look back, so here are some things of interest:
- Tyler and I have been enjoying lots of craft beer (per usual).
2. In an attempt to make a healthy dessert, I whipped up a batch of Flourless Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies. They were so tasty, but in no way come close to chocolate chip cookies. Or anything unhealthy (and DELICIOUS) for that matter. I would definitely make them again though.
3. Wes has been an exploring fiend and I love it. Well, most of the time I love it.
His Oxfords are from VI&JAX and they are the cutest, hipster-est little shoes ever. I love them.
4. I switched from my usual morning waffles to morning smoothie bowls and I just can’t get enough of them! My favorite combo as of late is: frozen cherries, cocoa, pb, spinach, greek yogurt, maple syrup, vanilla, almond milk. Topped with chia seeds and whatever other fun crunchy things I have around.
5. This view:
Whoa, time flew by since my last check in! I feel like we have been so busy, and yet I don’t have too much to report. Stupid Calgary weather has our daily events all screwed up. Too much rain and hail and thunder and lightening AND I DON’T LIKE IT ONE BIT.
But, things could be worse so I can’t complain. I thought I’d start the week off by sharing some great [and random] goodies! In no particular order…
- WeeNation. I’ve share past boxes we’ve received from them here and here. We got yet another one not too long ago and it was a good one!
It included a Love Child Organics bag of Love Ducks (Wes is obsessed), Barbeque Sauce after sun lotion, Jax & Lennon bloomies, and a couple of other great items! The box was a summer theme and did not disappoint. Wes has outgrown bibs and the stroller wraps aren’t his jam so I’ll be either gifting those or saving them for future babies.
I highly urge you to check our Wee Nation if you haven’t already. They curate some of the best monthly boxes depending on your babes age (and time of the year), plus they find some great small Canadian shops to incorporate in each box! I really love that. And I love that there is often a goodie for mom in it each month as well. This box had a bath bomb that I can’t wait to use.
^^Moccs from Posh Panda ^^
I love whenever we receive one of these boxes in the mail because it is something that Wes and I can open together and he will usually take each item out and run around with it….because he can haha.
Be sure to also check Wee Nation out on Instagram (they have a code to get `10% off!)
2. Love With Food. I hadn’t heard of this snack subscription box before, but was super excited to try it when we were offered a box!
Love With Food has a really great premise behind their subscription boxes: not only are they providing a variety of samples of good snacks, but they are also looking for quality ingredients AND donate a meal to feed a hungry child for every box purchased.
I was more than pleasantly surprised when I opened our box. We have had it for just under a week and I’ve already eaten just about everything in it! There’s a great variety of sweet/savory plus there are gluten free options (and a strictly gluten free box available as well!)
Love With Food’s promise with each box:
- No artificial flavoring, coloring, or MSG
- No trans fats and hydrogenated oils
- No high fructose corn syrup
- Snacks are natural, organic or gluten-free
Wes has even shared some of these snacks with me! I gotta admit, I loved them all and look forward to my next box.
The people at Love With Food are offering all of YOU a beyond sweet deal–> use code NUTCASE40 and receive 40% off your first box. WHAT A STEAL. Moral of the story: you get good snacks, help feed the hungry AND get a heck of a discount. Plus, they ship everywhere so this doesn’t exclude anyone!
3. Bubbles & Balms. Oh man, you guys. This is my GO TO shop for soaps. They offer a variety of other skin care products as well which I’ve reviewed here and here, but my consistent order is always at least a half dozen or so soaps. There is absolutely nothing better than an all natural product that smells amazing AND is made locally by a duo that love what they do.
I bought a ton of their bath bombs to gift my girlfriend at her bridal shower and already regret not snagging a couple for myself as well. Bath bombs are THE bomb.
4. Beachbody. I’ve been rotating through my programs lately and still loving the daily challenge. This month is a KILLER month as far as promotions go: two of my FAVES are on sale plus a bunch of others: Country Heat, Cize, PiYo, 21 Day Fix, 21 Day Fix Extreme, and 22 Minute Hard Corps. If you’re looking for some great home-workout programs to add to your workout routine, I’d love to chat with you more to see what would be the best fit for you.
Please message me if you’d like more info! I live by these workouts and I think my post-baby body is a pretty good testament to how effective these programs can be.
5. Invivo Wines. I got a bottle of their Pinot Noir a couple of weeks ago and was more than eager to pair it with a delicious dinner at home with Tyler.
There’s something about Pinot Noir that gets my juices flowing, because I almost *almost* want to swear off beer completely and just stick to the vino once I take a few sips of this stuff. It has the BEST aroma and pairs well with just about any dish. And I gotta admit, we polished off the bottle faster than we expected, which called for an early evening. But boy was it worth it!
I had never heard of Invivo, but was impressed with their fact sheet:
Turns out, 4th Spot Kitchen and Bar carries Invivo too! It sparked my fancy so we headed out there for dinner the other day.
I got a beer…whoops!
6. VIANDJAX. This is a small shop for baby/littles clothing that’s based out of Strathmore, AB. Wes was lucky enough to become a brand rep for this shop and we received a pair of moccs for Wes to test out. He absolutely loved the laces (a little too much which prevented him from just leaving them alone and actually WALKING) and I’m excited to pair them with upcoming fall outfits for him.
Unfortunately, Wes took a nasty spill on the concrete just before these photos (hence the bribery of chocolate chip cookies) and you may notice the big ol’ bruise that was forming on his forehead.
^^Romper from Archer and Antlers^^
viandjax shop is currently closed, but make sure to follow them on Instagram for upcoming updates and their fall launch! PS: Aren’t the moccs just so darn adorable?! I can’t stand it.
Ok, that’s it for now. Thanks for making it through the whole post!
More things I came across that I found worth sharing:
1. Lower fat chocolate made with fruit juice. Hmmm. No, I think I’ll stick to the regular stuff, thanks. I always see ads for chocolates that are lower in fat or sweets that are “under 100 calories” but I NEVER get them. Mostly because that means the product is pumped with way more artificial stuff which is actually bad for you in the long run. Fruit juice? A good idea, but I like my chocolate tasting like chocolate and chocolate chocolate chocolate. The end. Chocolate.
2. I have had a thing of heavy cream in my fridge for a bit (insert quick trip to the fridge to check its expiration) Just kidding, I had to throw it out. But do you ever find you have a bit of heavy cream leftover when you only need a teensy bit of it for a recipe? Well these cranberry and walnut scones can help you out with that. Scones are great because they are dense and filling and you can pretty much toss whatever combo of add-ins into the recipe. Cranberries are fantastic for scones- my mom ALWAYS makes them. And I ALWAYS eat (all of) them.
3. Ok, so I have to admit I bookmarked this one a few days ago, but never read it until just now when I meant to include it in this post. And OMG HAHAHAHAHAhahahahahAHHAHAHAHAHAHahahahHAHAHA I am laughing so hard from it that I am mad for depriving myself the last few days of knowing about how hilarious it is. YOU HAVE TO READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE AND YOU HAVE TO PLAY THE SONG INCLUDED TOWARDS THE END. OMG I CAN’T STOP LAUGHING. Hey, you probably want to know what the article is about, right? A ladies’ guide to a one night stand. And I’ll tell you what, this would have been useful knowledge to have pre-Tyler. Most likely college. AHAHAHHAHA yes. Just yes.
4. Chocolate chip cookie bars stuffed with peanut butter. Why have I not thought of this? Oh wait, I did stuff them with Nutella once. But that was only once because I found Nutella straight out of the jar to be much easier and just as delicious.
5. I really want to make this jewelry board. Then I got to thinking: I have like no jewelry. So, I have change my order of priorities to 1.) get jewelry, then 2.) make jewelry board.
6. This is another one of those talking dog videos. Made me laugh/feel good to watch. Especially while I am on the phone with the bank and the registry office to coordinate things. Like, let’s talk about how the registry told me I need proof of residency, among other things, to get an Alberta license (i.e. a bank statement) and the bank tells me I need 2 picture IDs (i.e. an Alberta license) to open an account. See how that works there? Both sides are telling me I need the others. Aka: that doesn’t work. It also means that they’re uneducated on the process because I guarantee when I go to said bank/registry office, I will be able to get both. Right, so yeah…watch that talking dog video.
7. This article will clue you in on overexercising. Did you know that FAT GAIN is one of them? I honestly think that’s why I was 15+/- lbs heavier when I was living in Boston because I was taking/teaching so many group ex classes—even though I was eating healthy! Crazy thought.
Your Turn: What have you found of interest on the internet lately?