My HYPOTHETICAL dating profile would read as follows: Interests: Baking, Fitness, Beer, Napping. Ok, there might be a little more to it than that, but it pretty much sums me up. I can nap at the drop of a hat; … Continue reading
OMG you guys, I can’t believe I came up with something in the kitchen and it actually WORKED. Usually when I modify recipes or try to get a little creative, the world goes BOOM and it comes out pretty fugly. But this…this came out P-E-R-F-E-C-T. And the most shocking part of all? THERE IS NO CHOCOLATE IN IT. Whaaaaa? Me make something delicious that is not chocolate?! (or pizza?!) Guuurl, you crazy!
This cake has some healthy and some not-so-healthy ingredients, so I suggest eating it everyday.
That picture looks totally normal until you rotate it a bit, and then you get a Pac-man cake.
Ahhhhh, yummy Pac-man cake.
Think I sound crazy? Probably because I’m experiencing a sugar high. So what if I ate cake at 10am?! Pff, don’t judge. I work out and eat lettuce at other times of the day.
Let’s get cracking on that recipe, shall we?
Lemon Chia Cake with Brown Butter Glaze
Here’s what you’ll need:
For the Cake
- 1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- dash of salt
- 1/4 c butter
- 1/4 c coconut butter (if you don’t have this, just use 1/2 butter total. But MAN, does this give it a more unique taste and consistency!)
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 T lemon juice
- 1 c plain greek yogurt
- 2 T chia seeds
For the Glaze
- 1/2 c butter
- 1 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 2 T milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease an 8′ round pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl (I used my standing mixer) cream the butter(s) and sugars. Add eggs one at a time. Then add the lemon juice.
- Add 1/2 of the dry mixture to the butter mixture and blend.
- Add the yogurt and chia seeds.
- Add the remainder of the flour mixture and blend until incorporated.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and the cake springs to the touch.
- Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, peeling parchment paper from the bottom of the cake, and place on dish/cooling rack to allow to completely cool.
- For the glaze: On medium heat, melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir occasionally. Allow for the butter to brown (a few minutes). Pour in a dish, mix the powdered sugar, then add the milk.
I can’t believe how much I loved this cake- especially since I tend to always go for things that are chocolatey or fudgy or peanut buttery.
Question: What’s your favorite type of cake? (Mom, I still love your Wacky Cake best!)
I went for a run OUTSIDE yesterday, and I ran FAST. Like, it was the first run I have done outside in Calgary where I didn’t feel like I was about to pop a lung. Or die. So YAY for me!
I also was hard at work in the kitchen yesterday morning, making a cake for my birthday boy.
I had to stick that puppy in the fridge so it wouldn’t fall over!
In the mean time, I took the birthday girl over to the pet store for some goodies. Once we got back, she wanted a photo op with all her loot.
Once Tyler got home, I surprised him with all of his goodies. Photo op yet again!
I wanted to get him all jacked up and excited for his birthday, but it didn’t work out so well. I am so over-giddy about birthdays, that I am usually jumping and clapping all day, and Tyler is pretty much the opposite. I still tried, though!
The cake was by far my favorite part. I was so excited all day for him to see what I made! We stuffed ourselves with dinner, so he didn’t really want any cake, but I kept pushing it, because I wanted him to see why I was so excited for it. He eventually caved..
I let Tyler blow out the candles. If Layla was in charge, she would have just stuck her nose in it, sneezed, and ruined the whole thing.
5 layers of different shades of purple covered in gold icing! Aka: The Vikings colors- his favorite football team.
How awesome is that?
Today we are getting out furnace/hot water tank replaced, and the water is OFF. No shower, no nothing until they are done. It’s gonna get smelly up in here!