As promised, here is the recipe from last night’s dinner (from Eights and Weights)
Healthy Turkey Meatballs
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1/4 c breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp soy milk (I used almond)
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 gloves garlic (I used minced garlic)
- Grated veggies (I used carrots)
- 1 pack of whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 28 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 onion (I used 1/2)
- Cooking spray
- 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degress and spray baking sheet with the cooking spray
2. In a large bowl, combine the turkey, breadcrumbs, parmesan, milk, egg, black pepper, thyme, 1/2 clove garlic, grated veggies, and half the salt
3. Once combined, form into balls (I did 12 medium sized)
4. Baked for about 15 minutes, until balls are browned.
5. For the sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan. Add in the onion and rest of the garlic. Right as it browns, add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, and the rest of the salt. (I threw in a little chili powder as well)
6. Let the sauce simmer. When the meatballs are done, carefully add them to the sauce and allow at least an additional 15 minutes of simmering before serving (I had them simmer about 45 minutes. The longer, the better)
7. Cook the spaghetti per the directions on the box. Top readied spaghetti with balls and sauce and dinner is served.
Ok now that we’re done with that, I’d like to give a shout out to Athena for the workout she posted from her Tuesday night class (Oh how I miss Two a Day Tuesdays. Not only for the workouts, but for the peeeeeeople!)
I started with 10 minutes of HIIT on the spin bike, then got right to it.
There were 2 rounds of tabatas. Then cardio after each round. I chose to do a minute of cardio between each tabata for a little extra punch.
- On the bosu: Pushups/Burpees
- With a medicine ball: Woodchops/Pulses
- Bands: Bicep curls (In and out)
- On the bosu: Planks/Mountain Climbers
- With a medicine ball: Front lunges w/twist
- Bands: Tricep extensions
Then I did all the ab work she posted. (Seriously, just check out her post-linked above- for a more complete description).
Last, I hopped on the elliptical for another 10 minutes of HIIT.
It was a GREAT workout. I swallowed so much salty sweat. (Gross. Cringe. Barf. TMI- I know)
Only difference in my workout from Athena’s was the music selection. She chose to go with a Cinco de Mayo theme. Me: not so much. I have been hearing way too much techno-y/pop-y music lately, that I needed me some rap, hop-hop and otherwise ‘thuggy-thug’ music. (This is no offense to anyone by referring to it as ‘thuggy-thug.’ I just think it’s an amusing way to get the vibe across.) Little Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Jay-Z, Kayne, Snoop and Notorious all made appearances on my playlist this am. I gotta tell ya, that music really revs my engine.
On the way to the gym I heard this song and I got really amped to work out. It really just makes me wanna dance and twist and shake and shimmy. Please tell me that you clicked on the link. And that as soon as the music played, you started bobbing your head or rocking your shoulders back and forth. Admit it. Because that’s what I’m doing. RIGHT NOW. Of course I’m playing it on repeat until I finish this post.
Then, on the way back, I heard this song. It was my very first favorite song that wasn’t and oldie or a Disney tune. Total throwback. Not gonna lie, I have used it quite a few times in playlists for classes I ran in Boston. Best part was when someone in the class would be like “Aww man, great tune” They scored 50 points in my book.
Ok, on to address the notes I left for myself in the last post.
1) Lululemon Swimsuits.
I’m pretty sure I am going to buy all of them. I went to the mall yesterday just to “visit” them and I fell in love. Tyler, are you reading? Your lady wants a swimsuit. The gal who freaked out at the Hot Springs 2 weeks ago because of the dreaded bathing suit wearing…WANTS A NEW SUIT. I suggest you take that as a hint.
2) Calgary Beerfest
I got tickets for Tyler and I for Friday night. Very excited. VERY. There are so many new-to-me beers that are going to be there. I know, it’s a tough job trying all of them, but I feel I am up to the challenge. A lot of these Canadian beers have rivaled my favorites from the states, and some of them have been just awful. I checked out the list of who will be there, and some of my new faves are..so I’ll at least have some backup.
3) Copycat blogging. I’m actually in a good mood today, so I don’t want to bring myself down if I really get into this topic. Next!
4) At home workouts. I used to hate doing at home workouts because I either didn’t have the space or didn’t have the equipment. But now, I totally love them. I have my own room that I can sweat to my heart’s content. I’ve got my mat, my stability ball and my new weights. So many options.
5) How much I hate washing dishes. The end. I just hate it.
6) Positives and negatives of being a lefty. Positives: I got on a lot of sports teams growing up. I got the lefty desk in school. Negatives: Coaches had a hard time teaching me the ‘opposite’ way. I smudge over pretty much everything I write.
I know there are more, but I can’t think of them right now. I think I just wrote that on my list last night because I had completely smudged up some important paperwork. #fail
7) Sleeping positions. On my belly or on my side. If I am drunk, I sleep on my back with my arms over my head. Totally weird.
8) Favorite chapsticks/lip glosses/what-have-yous. Chapstick: Carmex. But only in the classic stick and only in the original and cherry flavors. Strawberry? Blughk. Lip gloss: Benefit Ultra Shines. I have had just about every color and love every single one of them. What have yous: Exude Lipstick. I have the lip cream in Nude- I got it from my Birchbox a few months ago (which I had to cancel when I moved because they don’t deliver to Canada! Tears, people. Tears.)
This should be sufficient reading for you all for now..There’s a lot more to get done today!
Anyone want to rant/rave on anything? I’m all ears!