You guys….I have no idea how these granola bars have made it this long before coming into my life. SERIOUSLY. They are so freaking tasty and easy to make, it’s ridiculous. Even better? They’re not so terribly bad for you that it would be A-OK (with me) if you ate them as a meal. I would.
I made a batch before heading to bed the other night and I was practically dreaming about them I was so excited. All you have to do is mix all the ingredients together, press into a pan and throw in the fridge and YOU’RE DONE. That’s my kind of recipe. Also- these are Wes approved.
Backing it up a bit- so one of my go-to breakfasts when Wes was first born was a bowl of oats, honey, raisins and pb mixed together. And that’s it. No cooking or heating or adding of liquids. It was essentially energy balls…deconstructed. Not only is the mixture tasty, but it’s a great form of energy (and at the time) calories which I desperately needed to keep up with Wes’s appetite.
When I stumbled upon this recipe, I was looking for something that was quick, easy and pretty much a dessert substitute that would satisfy my sweet tooth.
Ok ok, I guess I should just get to the recipe, right? Without further ado…I give you DOUBLE CHOCOLATE GRANOLA BARS!! (Said in my best Oprah voice)
- 1/2 cup all natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cocoa powder
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup crushed rice chex
- 1/4 c chocolate chips
- Line an 8×8 baking pan with aluminum foil and set aside
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the peanut butter and honey. Microwave for 30 seconds the fully mix together.
- Add cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt. Mix well
- Stir in the oats until fully combine and then add the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture (it will be thick) into the 8×8 pan and press firmly to create a nice even top and smooth edges.
- Refrainerate for at least 2 hours before cutting into bars. Keep refrigerated.
recipe adapted from livewellbakeoften
Also, do you have an idea how hard it is to take photos like this when there is a crawly, grabby toddler in the house?? That milk almost bit the dust about 72 thousand times.
Next time I make these, I might even try to throw in some dried blueberries. You know, to make them even healthier. BAH…I’m blowing my own mind over here!
No wait, I might add more oats and then some beer in them. YES YES that’s what I’ll do. Beer bars. Ack, I think I’m on to something..