Hi friends and happy Thursday! I feel like I have SO MUCH to share and now that I’ve finally sat down to type it all out- I can’t remember any of it. Grr. Wait? It’s Thursday already? How the hell … Continue reading
Um hi…how is it Thursday already? I swear to God time is just whizzing by and I have had approximately zero seconds to just sit and relax. Ok, that’s a lie because I’ve been making some time to try to … Continue reading
Hi, friends! Happy Thursday. SO CLOSE to the weekend I can almost taste it. I’ve got three totally random things I’d like to share with you today:
- Eco Chic Movement. Last month, Dr. Alexis from Eco Chic Movement reached out and asked if I’d like to try some baby products from her all-natural line. I of course said yes because I’m always on the lookout for safe products to use on Wes. We received the baby basics travel set which includes baby lotion, massage oil, diaper cream, baby face cream, baby skin conditions cream, and shampoo & body wash.
All of the products are 100% natural and made in Ottawa by Dr. Alexis who is a chemical engineer, toxicologist, and naturopathic doctor. The shampoo & body wash came in a foam pump and I had to pump it quite a bit to get enough to lather onto Wes’s head and body, but I could tell it was nice and gentle on his skin. His hair was light and fluffy after his bath too!
The baby lotion had a very thick consistency which also made it a bit harder to dispense, but it was nice and creamy on his skin. I don’t usually use a separate cream for his face, but we tested this out as well and again was very clean and gentle on his skin. I’ve yet to use the other products, but have them on hand when needed!
I also received a couple of trial sizes for creams and lotions for myself and my favorite is the peppermint foot cream. I used this after a night time shower and put socks on afterwards and my feet stayed nice and moisturized (which is quite the feet in this dry altitude!)
Pros: 100% all-natural products; made in Canada; safe for baby!
Cons: The containers my samples were sent in got opened in the mail and they were hard to pump when I wanted to use. Not sure if shipping is to blame for that?
Thanks again, Eco Chic!
2. Checkout 51– This is one of my latest favorite apps. Every Thursday, they load new list of offers (grocery items, office supplies, BOOZE, pet supplies..etc). You simply pick the ones you’d like, purchase them from any store, upload the receipt, and when your account hits $20, they send you a check. Basically, coupons without the physical coupons.
I’ve already redeemed quite a bit through them. And my favorite part is that you can redeem the offer even if you already have a coupon and/or the product is on sale at a given store. Pampers Baby Dry diapers were on there this week, so I looked for where they were on sale in my area, used a $3 off coupon I already had, then uploaded the receipt for an additional dollar off. Boom, I’m a penny saving genius.
PS: US friends, this is available to you too!
3. Homemade Protein Bars. I decided I needed to let go of my beloved Quest Bars (I’ve had one EVERY SINGLE DAY since Wes was born) because they are just too dang $$$. I looked up recipes on SIMPLE homemade protein bars and came across Lindsay’s No-Bake Protein Bars.
Here’s what I used to make them:
- 1.5 c oat flour
- 1.5 c Vega Proteins & Greens protein powder in Vanilla
- 1.5 c Rice Chex cereal
- 3 T chia seeds
- 3/4 all natural peanut butter
- 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 c honey
- 3 T water
- In a bowl combine flour, cereal, protein powder and chia seeds.
- In another bowl combine peanut butter, milk and honey.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Add water as necessary to make sure the ‘dough’ is moistened. (it will be crumbly)
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper and press dough into pan.
- Freeze for roughly 20 minutes.
- Cut into bars.
If you click over to Lindsay’s original recipe, you’ll see mine turned out completely different than hers. Mine were super tasty, but I think I can improve on them a bit. Next time, I might try almond butter, rice krispies and omit the chia. I mean, if I HAVE to keep making them, I GUESS I’ll just have to suffer through eating all of them, right? 😉
Do you prefer locally made/natural items for your/your baby’s skin care? What do you use?
Do you have a great homemade protein bar recipe I could try??
I’m gonna quit saying I’m looking forward to the weekend because I could just let time freeze for now. I’m loving my time with my baby boy, I’m loving (shock and awe…wait for it) doing chores around the house, and I’m loving being able to run errands during the day and avoiding the wretched weekend crowds. Tomorrow my little man will be 9 months old which brings me even closer to my return to work and I am getting more and more sick to my stomach about it!
- Wes tried smoothies for the first time this week! The first one was a mixture of fruits, greek yogurt, oats and almond milk and the second had some spinach added to it. The LOVED the green smoothie- I had to slow him down! He uses this cup and it seems to do the trick in ensuring a slower flow. He’s also been able to munch of some rice husks which seem to disappear in the blink of an eye. This guy loves his food!
2. Thanks to Brie’s post earlier this week, I was able to take advantage of Victoria’s Secret sale- buy a sports bra, get a legging for free! I had a store credit, so it cost me nothing AND I rounded out my quick shopping trip with a stop at the used kid’s store and picked up some oldie buy goodie books for Wes.
3. Dinners from the week have been pretty easy and super tasty! Monday: Slow Cooker Gnocchi in Creamy Pork Sauce (I used chicken) Tuesday: Mild Italian Chicken Sausage with couscous and sautéed zucchini Wednesday: Asian Turkey Meatballs with steamed broccoli and rice. I plan on making a slow cooker pot roast tonight with leftovers for tomorrow!
4. Monday and Tuesday nights have been tiresome! Wes got up at 5am Tuesday morning and 3am Wednesday morning to feed and each time it took him nearly 90 minutes to get back to sleep. I don’t mind because he rarely does this and I love the extra cuddles, but it really gets to my brain and body when I try to get some shut eye afterwards! It’s a good thing he’s cute.
The lack of sleep causes me to take some obnoxious (and cute!) photos of him 🙂
5. I finished Making a Murder on Tuesday night and Ken Kratz is just super creepy to me. That is all.
6. I’m 90% sure about which day home we will choose for Wes. I checked out another on Tuesday and it seemed a bit too crowded plus the caregiver will be having surgery just as Wes will start there so I’m taking it as a sign it’s not meant to be. We are checking out another place today, but I think my heart lies with the place we checked out last week. It’s $$, but I think Wes will get better attention (which is the most important part!)
7. Tyler noticed that Best Buy OF ALL PLACES had Quest Bars on sale online…the deal (keyword DEAL: regular $39.99; sale $32.99/box) was up until yesterday. So I bought three boxes. These are on my short list of things I will splurge on. Also on that list: Sodastream CO2 canisters (I go through one every 2 weeks), Vega nutritional shake powder, Bio Oil, and anything for Wes.
8. To all my friends in the US: you can come visit me now. Do you know what the exchange rate is right now? Granted, most everything here in my expensive, but still…MORE MONEY IN YO POCKET! Seriously, come visit me. (hint hint: I’ve been here FOUR YEARS and only one person has visited!!!)
Tell me something random!
Hey friends! Happy Thursday! I’m back again this week to share a few of my latest finds. Without further ado, I’ll jump right into it!
- Raz Baby RazPack formula and snack container. I got one of these with a shop.ca credit that I had and I LOVE it. There are three sections that can hold either formula powder or snacks and can be used individually or stacked together. The stack allows for you to use a small spout to dispense formula (helps prevent spills) or remove a side to easily access snacks. It fits perfectly in my diaper bag too which is a HUGE bonus.
2. Skip Hop Bento-Clix Mealtime Kit. I also got this with my shop.ca credit and am really looking forward to using this. It’s pretty neat because the kit comes with six containers which can be used for snacks, meals or even baby food! It can also be kept warm or cold with the insulated carrier and freezer pack. I think this will be an easy to use carrier when Wes and I venture out for longer periods of time.
3. A-ha! A non-baby product: Live Clean Pink Fire color protect shampoo and conditioner. I needed more shampoo and conditioner and saw that these were on sale so I picked them up. It’s the same brand as the body wash/shampoo I use on Wes and I like it because it they use natural, plant sourced ingredients and are paraben free, yadda yadda all that good stuff. Plus, it’s at a pretty decent price point. And let’s face it, although I do wash my hair everyday- it goes up in a grody bun 99% of the time so I don’t really need (or want) to spend a fortune.
And…because I love ya, here’s a magical #4 bonus: my FAVORITE CHRISTMAS SONG OF ALL TIME–>