I don’t have much to share today. I have been feeling like crap, so a lot of moping and napping and complaining to the dog.
I DO have a recipe to share, though. Yesterday, I made crock pot turkey pumpkin chili. It was pretty good, but maybe a little on the bland side. I’ll share the recipe anyways.
Turkey Pumpkin Chili
What you’ll need:
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 diced red pepper
- 1/2 diced green pepper
- 1/2 diced onion
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 can (16 oz or so) beans- I used a 6 bean blend, but you can choose black, kidney, navy, etc….
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes with chilis
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cayenne
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 cup stock (I had chicken on hand. I used this because it was a little thick)
What to do:
1. Brown the ground turkey in a skillet.
2. Throw everything in the crock pot.
Honest to God, I don’t think it could get any easier. I topped my bowl with a bit of shredded cheddar- it was a nice compliment once it was stirred into the chili.
Since I was feeling super crappy, I decided not to head to the gym. But, being the fitness junkie that I am, I couldn’t NOT do anything (especially since it wasn’t my designated day off- I know, I know “listen to your body” and all that crap, but I wasn’t dying, I just wasn’t feeling like the normal stellar Jen.) I decided to get in some strength at home. In my pajamas. This is what I managed to get done:
- 2 sets of 12 squat presses
- 100 pushups
- 50 leg lifts
- 3 rounds of an arm series (12 reps of each move: bicep curl, hammer curl, overhead press)
- 3 rounds of gliding lunge series (10 reverse lunges and 10 side lunges- each side)
- 3 sets of 10 overhead reach presses on each side (holding weight in right hand , right foot crossed over left, perform an overhead press, reaching the weight directly up and over your head to the left. You’ll feel this in your obliques)
- 3 sets of 10 deadlifts on each leg
- 3 mile walk with the dog
- 100 stability ball sit ups
- 100 crunches
I actually broke a sweat getting this done because I limited my rest periods (felt that was necessary since I was not doing any cardio)
-I reintroduced carrots back into my life. Totally forgot about those suckers. They’re pretty good.
-I thought people in the states were rude, but boy, the people here are way worse (at least the ones I have come across). I have been shoved out of the way. People have cut me in line. They do not say ‘excuse me’ to anything. Ever. It sound like an irrational complaint, but dude.
– Except for the cashier at Wal-Mart yesterday (of all places). He was super nice.
– I saw another celebrity look-a-like at the gym Tuesday. This time it was Guiliana Rancic. I have also seen every Canadian twin of my Boston gym friends at the gym here. I think I am just having withdrawals. Haha ok, so my Boston gym friends will get a kick out of this: You know how I don’t go to group ex classes here? Well, a prime example: I walked past the studio on my way to the equipment the other day, and the girl was leading them in heel taps on the 4-count. It was NOT a senior class. Ugh, so sad.
-The lock on your garage door is backwards. I feel like an idiot every time I try to use it.
– I have a recurring dream of going back to the all-girls high school I went to in CA for my freshman and sophomore year. I often wonder how different my life would be if we never moved to NY. My first thought is always about how much fatter I’d probably be.
– Mint M&Ms. Buy them.
– I always dance to the intro music of The Mindy Project. It’s my favorite. Plus, I think Mindy and I would be really good friends.
-Ah, friends. I miss them. And home. And Target.
I will be trying the turkey chili!
Heel taps really, good Lord…I raise my heart rate more easily by just breathing…
hahaha exactly! I checked the schedule and it was something like “muscle burn”
um…not in my book!
I have a few comments for this one… Okay, here I go:
1 – Do I have a Canadian twin?! I would love to meet her! Unless she’s doing heel taps on the 4-count, then I don’t want to know!
2 – LOVE mint M&M’s, but my new obsession is Coconut M&M’s. Get on board! Seriously.
3 – You and Mindy would most definitely be besties. Great show!
4 – We miss you more!
1- YES! I have seen her the past couple of weeks at the gym.
2- I have been on the lookout for those and can’t find them. Then, Tyler ate all the mint ones.
Where did you find the mint m&ms? I saw a recipe for cookies using them that I want to make for a bake sale next week. I love the Mindy Project too – I can relate on so many levels 😛
I found them at Safeway. I’m sure they’re at other grocery stores too, but I’m afraid to look for fear that I’ll buy them all.
I love chili! Best winter food for sure.
I think there are rude people everywhere. It’s sad that people don’t have the common courtesy to use their manners.
Mint M&Ms? I’m in trouble now!
And that’s your workout when you are feeling crappy?
Hope you feel better soon!
I have played around with a few different recipes for chili and the key is to wait for leftovers- the flavors are just so much better!
I think I get the midday grumps when I go out- no one even makes eye contact, it’s so frustrating and disheartening ( I think I’m just looking for any social interaction I can get!)
Thanks, I’m looking forward to a full nights sleep!! 🙂