Another interview day…I thought.
BUT lookie-here at what happened with my morning:
- Mid hair-straightening, the straightener broke.
- Stockings had a hole
- Pre-Calgary work pants felt snug
- 5 minutes prior to leaving for interview, received a call to cancel said interview.
Honestly, I can’t catch a break. I immediately got online to see what the warranty on my super expensive straightener was, and found that all I needed to do was include a copy of the receipt of purchase from authorized dealer and cost of return shipping along with the item. OF ALL THE DAMN RECEIPTS, I can’t find this one. Oy. The replacement wouldn’t arrive for at least 8-10 weeks, so I am stuck buying another one here regardless.
Yeah, that’s the hairdo I would’ve gone with if it weren’t cancelled. And I think I had already changed back into my ‘jams before I even hung up the phone. Ugh
Now I’m going to complain about how this throws off my WORKOUT. Of all things. Boy, am I selfish. Or obsessed. Or both. Now that I have all this free time, I want to use it by going to the GYM but I know there are group ex classes going on until about 12:30pm. (The group ex studio is open air in the middle of the gym- so my use of the treadmill would give me a view of 40-60 older ladies jazzercizing. Not my cuppa.)
I don’t even want to talk about how I felt in my work clothes. Gross. That’s a whole other post on my thoughts and feelings about my body image insecurities. WOOF.
RANT=OVER. (phew, i know)
Onto bigger and better things: food. HAHA. But seriously, I’m gonna talk about food.
First up, pancakes.
Not just any ol’ pancakes…SWEET POTATO pancakes!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/2 c sweet potato puree
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 c whole wheat flour
- 1/4 t baking powder
- stevia (to taste) or 1 t of sugar or agave
- dash salt
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1/4 c unsweetened almond milk
Here’s what you do:
- Throw everything in the blender or food processor or use a hand mixer to get the batter nice and smooth.
- Cook as you would normally cook pancakes (mine took a little longer on each side to ensure the puree was cooked and not leaving each cake super mushy)
- Optional: I topped mine with a mixture of pb2, water, and 1T cocoa. And sliced strawberries. It was perfect.
Next up, Carrot Cake!
I used the recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction. Only problem with mine was that I split the batter into 2-8inch round pans and still baked for the directed time. That, combined with the stupid altitude, and my cake came out a tad dry. (Hence the scary amount of frosting I used to compensate)
I’m still eating it, though.
Saturday night, Tyler made us ribs! They were so freaking tasty.
We ended up being out for a little later than expected, and by the time we got home and got these suckers on the BBQ, we had to wait until about 10pm to eat them. It was SO worth it.
I don’t know what rub Tyler used, but it was the first thing he put together when he woke up that morning. I think he’s going to keep it a secret. Just to WOW me every time we eat them.
TO WRAP UP:
1. Um, why have I never used the MapMyRun app before?
(A: Because I don’t ever run outside) I gave it a go for the first time yesterday–carrying my phone with me– and I LOVED it! It maps your route, tells you your splits, distance, duration, calorie burn, yadda yadda yadda.
2. My dog loves the sun just as much as she loves snow.
3. I have now officially fallen in love with Bloglovin. If you read this blog, chances are you found it through another blog, and even more chances that you read lots of blogs. Most people are currently using Google Reader as a way of getting their blog fix, but that’s saying adios in a couple of months. With Bloglovin, you can import all the blogs you have on your Google Reader (automatically. there is no long, disastrous process of getting it done).
This site is pretty cool because it allows you to open the posts in a new window (or on your phone, it directs you to the original post) so that you can comment or whatever. But, when you want to ‘go back’ you don’t lose the post! Sounds confusing- probably because I am terrible at explaining things. What I’m trying to say is- go register with Bloglovin and get used to it before Google Reader goes away forever.
4. Read about why you don’t like the word Moist.
5. Leftover OJ from Easter? (aka: your mimosas were mi-mostly champagne) MAKE THESE.
6. Why you should eat bell peppers.
7. You’re Not As Fat As You Think You Are. I re-read this a ton of times, took a few deep breaths, and felt a bit better.
8. BOOKS. I’m reading them. Yay! Here’s what I’ve got under my belt as of late:
I’m currently reading:
And have these next to read:
Question: Any good eats or reads lately? Please share!!