Montana Road Trip

So we went to Montana on Friday night. The only reason was so that I could officially export my car from the US and import it into Canada. Really out of the way, but Tyler and I made a trip out of it.

It was about 4 hours of this view before we got to Cut Bank, MT for the night (we were able to export the car on Friday night, but the officer said we could still stay the night in MT since we had already made reservations).

So, Cut Bank is tiny. Like, population 4. Le woof. We managed to find a place called Charlie’s for dinner, where we gorged on pizza and beer. Meal of champions.

I had a Moose Drool

And Tyler had a Land Shark

Pizza was topped with pepperoni, pineapple and mushies. It was pretty good (but not good for you. Whatever, it was Friday and I was in AMERICA!!)

Our hotel was…well, a hotel. Nothing fancy. It was a Motel 8! The swankiest place the town had to offer. I wasn’t too impressed with the mirror headboard.

Yeah, that’s a face of happiness. Or something like that.

The view from our room:

Lots of nothing. BUT, we stopped at a gas station before getting to the hotel and we got a 6 pack of Shock Top and a 6 pack of Blue Moon. This American was in HEAVEN. Oh, how I’ve missed that beer. We enjoyed them while watching European Vacation.  (We didn’t drink it all- we got to bring back most of them. Thank you border patrol lady for letting us!)

We woke up Saturday and got right on the road. Once we hit the border, we actually had to go in the office and get my car admitted and go through all the paperwork. It only set us back about 30 minutes, so it was actually quite easy!

Before making it back to Calgary, we made a detour at Buffalo Junction

And paid a visit to the Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump.

This site was where Blackfoot Indians would persuade Buffalo herds to stampede over a cliff to their deaths. They would use as much as they could from the Buffalo carcasses to survive until the next jump.

The museum itself was 6 stories and the top floor allowed you to go outside and stand at the site where the Buffalo would jump. It was really quite impressive.

Archeologists found that the jump was used up to 6000 years ago. At that point, the cliff was substantially higher, but as more and more jumps were completed, the remains of the Buffalo and dirt would accumulate at the bottom. Over time, the fall became less fatal, and more Indians had to man the base to kill the injured animals once they had fallen. It was important that no Buffalo escaped, because they believed that the escapee would warn other herds to stay away.

Ironically, once we left Montana and were in Alberta, we stopped for lunch at a restaurant called Montana’s.

And then, of course, Tim Horton’s for a caffeine boost

This barn made me laugh because of it’s large smiley face. So, I thought I’d take a photo to share

Dinner when we got back home were burgers and margaritas. Isn’t that how all road trips are supposed to end? I had the best chef(s).

Action shot

And I can’t forget the Tequila! (We were schooled at the liquor store about tequilas with 100% agave, silver vs. gold, and basically how crappy Sauza and Jose Cuervo were because they only had to make theirs with 51% agave and the other 49% could be made up of whatever sugars they want.

And now, my friends, I am off to the gym because I feel like one fat lardo. Can’t wait to get my sweat on!